Monday, November 29, 2010

Truth That Sticks by Avery T. Willis Jr. & Mark Snowden


Jesus taught his disciples and the crowds with parables- so why are we stuck behind pulpits giving litergies chock full of biblical references that congregants probably aren't even reading? Lets face it, most people these days aren't learning from what they read, they are oral learners. This book focuses on making truth stick like velcro in a post-modern “teflon” world. This book suggests that in order to make truth stick, you need to learn how to really reach people (by storying, not “preaching at”), and to disciple them (teach them to do what you do, by storying).

I really found this book interesting! It changed the way I think about preaching, and the job of the preacher- it's not to deliver the most eloquent homoly that no one understands, but it's truly to story the Bible to people, in ways they can remember those stories!! What good is a church full of people who possibly own Bibles they don't read and don't know anything about, but at least there are beautifully delivered sermons, when there can be a church full of people who truly understand and hunger for God's word...even when that means changing the delivery! The only thing I didn't care for in this book was that it was a slow read. I had to struggle to keep turning pages and not give up on it completely.
I recommend this book to anyone in a church leadership position, from a pastor to a lay leader- even to someone who is considering being in leadership.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from NavPress Publishers as part of their Blogger Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
If you haven't visited my other blog, click here.
Leave a comment on either site, if you are interested in receiving a free copy! When I post my next review, I'll randomly select one person to send my copy, at no cost to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment